Saturday, October 12, 2019

Launch day approaching and it just occurred to me....

What the heck am I actually going to write about?

Is this going to be a travelogue, a food blog, an Under the Tuscan sun imitation (likely much more poorly done)?  Will I entertain anyone, most importantly, myself or will it simply fold and drift into a boring dear diary?

 Food, Neighborhoods & Vita









What will be my first entry on my first moment in Rome?  It's likely to be pounding rain and dreary on day one - or fabulously crisp and razor sharp in the afternoon light turning to evening (I expect to arrive at Termini around 4pm-ish).

What are my expectations and what is my blog outline? Do I need one?

Then it came to me

Nothing.  I should plan to write about nothing. And everything.  I'll write about whatever strikes my eye on  ay to day basis. The color of the leaves blowing in the venti d'Autunno on the top of Gianicolo hill, about the smile of the baker as they hand over the fresh baked ciabatta, or the cooking advice of the butcher when I ask for his recommendation of sausage type for my ragu. What I really want is to know oddly quiet streets where no hordes of tourists crush at every turn. I want to get to know the smell of the Tiber.

People, light, streets old and new. Whatever I feel and knowing myself, I'll feel a lot. Recipes, sure. I DO like to cook and eat and plan on ramping up my game and really learning how to make some of the local specialties -  especially in January in Emilia-Romagna, Bologna and Modena.  But it's the people behind those recipes I want to know.

Bucket list item. A holiday dinner party at my swanko apartment on top of Gianicolo hill in the Trastevere.  I've already got the menu planned.  Caprese salad, flowed by ribollita,  then fettuccine con vongole and finally, Porchetta. With glasses of limoncello in the garden to wind down.  If you've seen the movie, Big Night, you know what I'm speaking of.


Those are my thoughts tonight.  It's all starting to make sense.  A presto  -  prossimo mese in Roma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rainy Day, Museo Day